Sunday, May 03, 2009

Edict on Sarcasm

Is the title sarcastic?

No.

I just wanted to take this opportunity and officially declare my glaring disapproval of sarcasm. Of course, many who read this will say to me on this day, "Skolnick, Skolnick have we not seen you be sarcastic before?" And on that day I shall say to them: Away from me, I never knew ye. I have had this discussion with a heralded group of people, notably Mary Gray and Greg Wilson. But, yes, I do have a bone to pick with sarcasm.
As a result of the internets, and the televisions wreaking havoc on our souls, in our society, sarcasm has taken a lofty position. It has now become complementary to tell someone that they are sarcastic- as praises go, it is on par with being witty or intelligent. And although some have taken it to mean the same as those, it certainly does not. Most people who are unapolegetically sarcastic are both witty and intelligent, but it doesn't go both ways. Now it has come to this. I'm ready to take it down a few pegs.
On a regular basis, we break conversational rules, or maxims. We are irrelevant. We pay too much attention to detail. We say things we don't mean, at least in the literal sense. The last example is irony in its most basic form. Using words to convey something that we do not want the audience to take at face value. Sarcasm is different. More or less, it is irony, used with malicious intent. Sarcasm has a life of its own. Most forms of criticism can be heavy, but this is worse-it adds on the expense of being made fun of. Who wants that? Where sarcasm really gains steam is in junior high. And as a result of this trend, the world is beginning to resemble Whittier Middle School a little more than I want it to (don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but there are some things I could have done without).
Now, don't get me wrong. I am not unstained in this. I do use sarcasm (though not to the extent I am accused of it), and will probably slip up somewhere in the future. But I am going to try to not do that. You can do what you want.

No comments: