Friday, April 28, 2006

mere thoughts

It rained today and I doubt it is done. We had a meet but it got cancelled. And I should have been able to go recruiting but all the high school meets also are probably rained out.
I am reading Chesterton's Everlasting Man. I think I have been trying to finish it for about 5 months now. It is even more difficult to read than Orthodoxy. There are some points where he puts everything together quite beautifully, but most of the time the writing is so intellectual, you do not remember the point he was trying to make to begin with, which makes it seem like it is all very disconnected and has no point. He does have a point, but most days I do not have the intellectual endurance to keep up. And most of the time, I have questions like "So why is he talking about this?"
I am approaching the point where my looks are strange enough to get a double take. I have noticed it. People you pass by, they make the kind of eye contact that makes me wonder for a split second if I know them. Eye contact with a hint of familiarity. I am unkempt enough to illicit this reaction from others. My beard is nearing a personal record for volume, and my hair, I am pretty sure, is the longest it has ever been. And I think I will be able to go another month before I have to do anything about it.
I am very tempted to start on my book, but a title alludes me. The 8th Day would be good, but there was an art exhibit at Arizona state that had that title. I don't know if that title would be sued or what. I doubt it, but one can never be too careful.
Also, I applied for a job at Florida International yesterday. Not any big expectations for it, but at least I actually am trying. That's about it. I gotta go.
-s

No comments: